CITY OF CARO REGULAR COUNCIL MINUTES
Mayor Joe Greene called the regular meeting of the City Council to order on August 15, 2022, at 6:30 p.m. in the Council Chambers.
Present: Mayor Joe Greene, City Council: Bob Eschenbacher, Emily Campbell, Don Hall, Tisha Jones-Holubec, Pamela Iseler and Jill White
Others: Lauren Amellal – Interim City Manager/Director of Development & Strategic Initiatives, Rita Papp – Clerk, Michele Perry – Treasurer, Brian Newcomb – Police Chief, Randy Heckroth – Fire Chief/Code Enforcement Officer, and other guests
Motion by Eschenbacher, seconded by Hall to approve the agenda with the additions of:
7 – Memorandum of Understanding Between City of Caro and Mobile Medical Response
8 – DDA/DPW Seasonal Workers Extension
9 – Council Committee Appointments
Laura Green – Distributed a photo of a recent fire to a family member’s home to council. Stated her concerns on the unsigned fire contract with the city and the township.
Allan Michel – Commented on his concern with the Planning Commission chairperson. Commented on the successful fair. Commented on the flowers in town and thanked Jill White and her helpers for maintaining them.
Tom Campbell – Concerned with a blight ticket he received and has no response from the blight officer.
Ron Anderson – Requested update on the demo project of the old police department.
- Burt Watson Fleet Lease Program Presentation
Presentation on options for leasing police vehicles was presented by Chief Newcomb.
- Indianfields Township Fire Contract– William Campbell
Presentation on fire contract issues between the city and township was presented by William Campbell.
- Charter Communications – Upcoming Changes
- Regular Council Minutes – August 3, 2022
- Department Reports
A. Police Report – Chief Brian Newcomb
B. Fire Report – Chief Randall Heckroth
C. Code Enforcement – Randall Heckroth
D. Director of Public Works Report – Tom Reese
E. WWTP – None
F. Municipal Parking Violations Bureau Report – Rita Papp
G. Director of Development & Strategic Initiatives Report – Lauren Amellal
Motion by Eschenbacher, seconded by Campbell to approve the consent agenda as presented including invoices.
REGULAR AGENDA: (action required)
- Monchilov Sewer Services LLC – CIPP Lining of Allen St. & Pearl St.
Motion by Hall, seconded by Eschenbacher to approve the proposal from Mochilov Sewer Services LLC – CIPP Lining of Allen St. & Pearl St. with the total estimate of $69,231.00.
- Natural Gas vs. Propane for Well # 5 and Water Tower standby generators
Motion by Eschenbacher, seconded by Hall to approve the proposal from Consumers Energy to place natural gas service at the water tower generator site with a one-time installation fee of $6,700.40 then monthly fee thereafter and approve the proposal from Consumers Energy to place natural gas service at well # 5 generator site with a one-time installation fee of $10,326.24 then a monthly fee thereafter.
- Interim City Manager Letter of Agreement with Lauren Amellal
Motion by Eschenbacher, seconded by Jones-Holubec to approve the Letter of Agreement between City of Caro and Lauren Amellal.
- FY 2021/2022 Financial Audit discussion
Discussion followed on the rescheduling of FY 2021/2022 Financial Audit.
- Set Finance and Policy Committee of the Whole, September 19, 2022 at 5:30 p.m.
RE: 2021/2022 4th Quarter Financials & Proposed Fire/Blight Ordinance Amendments, Pet Policy, & Flex/Comp Time Policy.
- Memorandum of Understanding Between City of Caro and Mobile Medical Response
Motion by Eschenbacher, seconded by White to approve the Memorandum of Understanding Between City of Caro and Mobile Medical Response.
- DDA/DPW Seasonal Workers Extension
Motion by White, seconded by Hall to approve the request from Interim City Manager to extend the time for DDA/DPW Seasonal Workers and to post for those positions.
- Council Committee Appointments Mayor Greene appointed Pamela Iseler to the Finance Committee and the Policy Committee.
- Indianfields Township Fire Contract Discussion followed amongst Council Members. Discussed a potential extension of the grace period.
8:15 p.m. – William Campbell presented signed contract and the first quarter payment to Council. Mayor Greene and Clerk Papp signed the contract.
ITEMS PENDING/POSTPONED: Parks & Recreation Committee Fencing Quotes
COMMITTEE/LIAISON POSITION REPORTS:
- Economic Development Corporation (Greene) – EDC was awarded $500,000.00 to assist small businesses.
- Chamber of Commerce (Manager) – No report.
- Downtown Development Authority (Hall) – No meeting.
- Fair Board (White) – Fair was the best according to the board.
- Parks & Recreation (White) – Meeting is on Wednesday.
- Planning Commission (Eschenbacher) – No meeting.
- Tuscola County Board of Commissioners (Jones-Holubec) – No report.
- Zoning Board of Appeals (Greene) – Next meeting August 24, 2022.
- Indianfields Township (Greene) – Discussed fire contract and new roofs in their parks.
- Almer Township (Campbell) – Worked on an agreement with their soccer fields. Township is only accepting franchise agreements rather than annexing.
MAYOR’S REPORT – Written report submitted
MANAGER’S COMMENTS – Written report submitted
CLERK’S REPORT – Written report submitted
TREASURER’S REPORT – Written report submitted
Update on the tax sale auction for property located at 1094 Colling Road.
ADDITIONAL PUBLIC COMMENT:
Mike Carpenter – Commented on the need to appoint a Street Administrator due to the departure of Matthew Lane.
Motion by Eschenbacher, seconded by Jones-Holubec to approve the MDOT resolution and appoint Interim City Manager Lauren Amellal as Street Administrator.
Roll call vote:
Cambell – yes, Eschenbacher – yes, Hall – yes, Jones-Holubec – yes, Iseler – yes, White – yes, Mayor Greene – yes.
Randy Heckroth, Fire Chief – Introduced Logan Carpenter as a new Caro Firefighter to the Council. Commended his staff for a job well done on the recent fire in Indianfields Township.
Council Member Jill White – Asked for update on the demo project at the old police station. Randy mentioned that the old sirens will have to be relocated or decommissioned before demolition can start.
Interim City Manager Lauren Amellal – Gave an update on the rezoning of the adjacent properties to the municipal hall. Properties will be rezoned to a parking lot. Matter to be presented to Planning Commission.
Motion by Eschenbacher, seconded by White to adjourn the meeting at 8:48 p.m.